You can embed a survey created from an outside source, such as SurveyMonkey, by using Claro's HTML Widget option. Simply follow the instructions for creating and sharing your survey provided by your chosen survey software provider.
When it comes to embedding the survey into your Claro course, you have two options. The option you should choose will depend on the frequency of use for the particular survey.
Embedding from a URL is a quick solution that allows you to adjust the dimensions of the embed from within Claro. It is an ideal solution if you only plan to use the survey on one or a few course pages.
If, on the other hand, you expect to re-use the survey across multiple courses and pages, you may want to consider adding the survey to the Media Library as an HTML Widget. This is a longer process up front, but can save you valuable time when re-using is frequent.
To embed a survey the quick way:
- From the survey provider, choose an option to collect data via web link. Copy the provided URL.
- In Claro, open your course and select the page where you'd like to embed the survey and select the Insert tab.
- From the Embed section, select From URL.
- Drop the placeholder on the desire location on your page.
- The Webpage Properties panel will open on the right. Paste the URL from Step 1 into the Address field.
- Ensure the Protocol in the dropdown above the Address field matches that of the pasted URL. Select your scrolling and Border options and click Preview to see a sample in the Preview pane.
- Use the Details tab to assign a Title, Description and Tags. This information is used for your internal organizational purposes, as well as for your leaners to search against, and to aid assistive technologies.
- When you're done, select Update.
Note: You can adjust the dimensions of the embed at any time by simply dragging the anchors on the stage.
To embed a survey and save it as a re-usable object in the Media Library:
- From the survey provider, choose an option to collect data via website embed. Copy the given code and paste it into Notepad.
- Save the file with a meaningful name and be sure to add the file extension: .html
- Navigate to your newly saved file, right-click on it and compress to a zip folder. The zipped version should appear in the same location as the original .html file.
- In Claro, select the page where you want to embed your survey.
- Select the Insert tab.
- Select the HTML Widget button from the Widget section. The Media Library will open.
- Select the HTML Widget Library on the left panel and click the Upload HTML Widget button to upload and import your zipped file.
- Browse to your zip file, select it, and click Open.
- Select Upload.The upload will complete and the system will check the package for viruses and unzip it. Once unzipped, a dialog box opens.
- Enter the information required in the default file window This information is used for your internal organizational purposes, as well as for your leaners to search against, and to aid assistive technologies.
Default File starting page name (this should appear in a drop-down list for you to select).
Title (what the object will be called in the Media Library).
Width and Height (the width and height of the HTML object, which should not be greater than your Claro course dimensions).
Border (choose on or off to apply a border around the object).
Scrolling (choose on, off, or auto for scrollbars).
- Select Done.
- From the Media Library, select the HTML object and click Insert. Your survey should now appear on your chosen Claro page. If you need to adjust any of your setting (Height, Width, Scrolling, etc.), you can edit your HTML object from the Media Library.