Follow

How do I export and import course text?

You can export all the text in your course. You may wish to do this for review, edit, compliance or other purposes. In Claro, you can export text into an Excel or XML file.

Note: If you are looking to export text for the purpose of translation, see article: How do I export a course for translation?

To export text as Excel:

1. From the Application Menu select Export.
  2. Select Text as Excel in the Current Course section.
  3. The Export Text as Excel window opens. Select Export Options, such as whether to include the glossary, page notes, transcripts, page preview links, and authoring metadata.
  4. Select Export.
  5. All on-screen text appears in separate cells to make it easier to map text changes back into the course. Image alt text is also included. Do not alter any of the existing information in the Excel spreadsheet. Use the Updated Text column to enter new text for each element. If you don't want to update the text for an element, simply leave the Updated Text cell blank.

To export text as an XML:

1. Click Browse Courses.
  2. Select the course.
  3. From the Application Menu select Export.
  4. Select Text as XML.
  5. Select the elements you wish to export.
  6. Click Export. The exported XML will start downloading automatically when the file is ready.
  7. Editing the XML: Open and Edit the XML file using your favorite tool.
    Note: It is important that you edit the correct portion of the XML.  The translation text should be placed within <TRANSLATION></TRANSLATION> inside the CDATA tag.  
    Example : <TEXT><![CDATA[ I AM THE ORIGINAL TEXT ]]></TEXT> <TRANSLATION><![CDATA[ I AM THE TRANSLATED TEXT ]]></TRANSLATION> 

To import course text from a Claro exported Excel file:

1. Open the course the text was exported from.
  2. Click the Application menu.
  3. Click Import.
  4. Click Text from Excel in the Current Course section.
  5. The Import Text from Excel window opens. Read the warning carefully!
  6. Click Choose File and browse to the updated Excel file. Click Open to link to the file.
  7. Click the Import from Excel button.

To import XML into course:

1. open the course the text was exported from.
  2. Click the Application menu. 
  3. Select Import.
  4. Select Text from XML.
  5. Select Choose File and Select the XML file you wish to upload.
  6. Select Import.

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request

Comments