I have a module set up where a download is displayed after the user has watched a video. Is there a way for the system to save that status for when the user returns? Right now when the user returns they have to watch the video again to reveal the download.652 0 1
I have a module set up where a download is displayed after the user has watched a video. Is there a way for the system to save that status for when the user returns? Right now when the user returns they have to watch the video again to reveal the download.
Comments( 0 )
Answers ( 1 )
If the video has been uploaded and added to the page you can have the end of the video set a custom variable to track that the video was completed.
When the page loads it can check the value of the custom variable to determine whether to show the download yet or not. The variable value also gets sent to the LMS as part of the SCORM data and would get re-loaded into the course if the learner comes back for a second session as well.
(NOTE: If the video is an embed for example from Youtube or a url from a Media Streaming server, it can't be accessed to set a variable.)
To set the variable up:
- Select the video file on the Page
- Select the purple Actions icon (the lightning bolt)
- Select More... at the bottom of the panel
- On the left side of the Triggers Panel select Functions and Variables
- Select Set Variable
- Select Next
- On the Element Interactions panel that opens on the right side, set the Trigger to When Media Ends
- On the Variable drop down, select New Variable
- In the Name field, give a practical name for the variable, perhaps "Video1Completed" (for example if you have more than 1 video to track)
- Set the Type drop down to True/False (boolean)
- Set the Value drop down to True
- You can select the Fire once per project check box
- Select Apply down at the bottom.
To set the page up to evaluate the variable value:
- Select the Interact tab in the ribbon
- Select Triggers
- In the Variables section of the list, select Is Changed
- On the panel that opens, use the Select a Variable drop down to select the Video1Completed variable
- Select the True icon (to indicate you are checking for the value to be true)
- Select Next
- From here, you'll set up a Show action to show the element that is/provides the link (maybe it's a button, maybe it's a text element, etc.) Select Show
- Select Next
- On the Page Actions and Timings panel, select the element you want to show. The data below that should be preset for you to have the Trigger as When Variable is..., plus the name of the Variable plus Operator == and the Value True, plus the Set Hidden on Load check box selected. Confirm that those are correct.
- Select Apply
Now when the page loads it will check for the value of the variable. If it is true, the element providing the download will be shown. If it isn't True, the element will be hidden.
You can test this using a Full Project Preview.