Link to documents in Resource library

2541 0 5
Posted   3 years ago

I have uploaded documents into the Course Resource Manager. Inside the course I have links to the documents. Some documents open while others download without opening. In all the links I created I selected the "New Window" as the option in which to open them. This happens with files of the same format. For example, one Word document opens in Word while the other one just downloads. I need to create a consistent learner experience. Are there any other settings that I have missed?

Comments

( 0 )

Answers  ( 5 )

Posted   3 years ago

That's a great question.  The behavior is largely dependent on the browser and the file types being used. In other words there isn't a lot you can do in dominKnow to directly effect those.  However, it seems quite strange that you get differences in Word files. Are they both .docx or is one a .doc or other format? 

What other file formats are you using?

What browser and OS are you testing with. 

Sounds like a great community article though to develop/share about best practices for this type of situation, perhaps we can work with you to create that!

Comments

( 0 )
Posted   3 years ago

Two of the Word files are .doc and the rest are .docx. I also have .xls and .pdf files. I am on Windows 10 using Chrome. I will check to see if the .doc and .docx files are behaving differently. The .pdf files all open in Acrobat. The .xls file just downloads.

Comments

( 0 )
Posted   3 years ago

I am having a similar issue. All the PDF files open just fine. I have an Excel document that opens fine when I link it in the page but will not open in the Resources section.

Comments

( 0 )
Posted   3 years ago

For PDFs its controlled by the browser or extensions. Most should default to opening them inline.  If they aren't or you want it to download by default here are some details to adjusting them (based on yuor browser): 

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001114.htm

For office documents yeach browser, when you are prompted you can request it to open in app or download and then remember that setting. 

Comments

( 0 )
Posted   3 years ago

I have an Excel file linked on the page in the course. When you click on that link, it downloads just fine. But when I click on the link in the Resources section (under the menu), an error message appears. My experience has been that the Excel files download just fine from the link in the slide but when I try to download it from the 'Resources' section, I get an error that says "The requested content cannot be loaded. Please try again later." This only happens with Excel files. I have tested this in Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Edge and get the same result.

Comments

( 1 )
3 years ago     Paul Schneider     753   |   8  

I suspect this is due to the individual browser settings. When using Edge I get prompted to open in an app or download. When in Chrome it downloads automatically - but when I have this app installed: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/docs-pdfpowerpoint-viewer/nnbmlagghjjcbdhgmkedmbmedengocbn it opens in the browser