Timeline timing

1594 2 1
Posted   2 years ago

Once in a project I would like to extend my Timeline, let's say to 55 seconds. It seems like the only way to do this is to drag the blue line BUT it only lets me do it in like 3 secrond increments thereby making this process long and frustrating.  Is there a better way?

Comments

( 2 )
2 years ago     Paul Schneider     753   |   8  

Can you add a bit more detail about what you are trying to do? E.g., An Audio file set as a narration would be a set "timeline" length, and thus wouldn't apply as described

2 years ago     gregkoronowicz     13   |   2  

I'm just adding a series of text boxes that appear on the timeline. Audio will be added later. But to add a consecutive text box I need to extend the timeline. But the timelline only allows me to add about a couple of seconds at a time. I'm hoping to extend the timeline out by a minute or so.

Answers  ( 1 )

Posted   2 years ago

Thanks for the details.  A couple items.

1. If you intend to add audio narration and time events to the audio, you will want to add the audio file first and set it as narration. Doing this will tie timeline events to the audio file as to simply page "load".  
    1. You can tie events to the page load and set the audio to autoplay, but depending on devices and network connections this can produce some undesired effects.
  2. It sounds like you are dragging the timeline to "make it longer". Depending on your screen resolution and how much the timeline is zoomed in, you will only be able to drag it X seconds.
  3. If you are attempting to have the object appear or something similar at X seconds, an easier way to accomplish what you are trying might be to simply click on the lighting bolt on the object, select "see all" (as the default is when it's clicked), Select Current Page/Question -> specify the time, selct show (or desired action) and then finalize settings in the right flyout.  

Does that help?

Comments

( 2 )
2 years ago     gregkoronowicz     13   |   2  

It helps! And I will be adding audio but at a later stage.

2 years ago     Paul Schneider     753   |   8  

Excellent. If you know you will be adding audio and say all audio files are X seconds or less - you could have a dummy audio file added now. Set as narration -hook up all actions and then when the updated file is in place, use our "change" option. This will let you preserve all actions tied to and just swap out the audio file. Depending on your overall goals this could be a big time saver.