Will update bring branching functionality?

2229 0 3
Posted   2 years ago
  ●   Edited   2 years ago

I'm trying to get branching to work in a course that I'm building in Claro, and it's becoming clear that it simply lacks the ability to do anything but the most rudimentary of content-skipping. Will this be improved in the coming update? 

For what it's worth, here's what the course should do (and it can't):

1. User selects their role from two options on page one in Intro module, marking one of two boolean variables I created (I opted for separate variables in case more roles need to be added later)
  2. Both sets of users are shown a page with accessibility information
  3. Based on the role they selected, the user is shown one of two role-specific Course Objectives pages (This required the addition of an unwanted "Who's ready to start?!"-type flourish to create an opportunity to loop into a user input, because the player controls can't be used in that way)
  4. Both audiences are shown the same content in Module 1
  5. Upon completing Module 1, learners will be taken either to Mod 2, then 3 (for role 1) or Mod 4, then 5 (for role 2). 
  6. Upon completing their two role-specific modules, both roles are shown Mods 6, 7, and 8.

I've tried this every way I can think, but one limitation or another prevents me from doing what I'm trying to do. I succeeded in the first case of branching by adding the silly flourish, but every module after the intro ends with multiple question pages. I grudgingly tried to duplicate that by adding a layer that displays after the learner answers the last question in the appropriate module, but apparently that isn't possible either. There doesn't actually seem to be any way to add branching navigation to question-based inputs. And even if I could do that, there also doesn't seem to be a way to branch multiple ways based on variables, 

Am I off-base with any of that? 

Comments

( 0 )

Answers  ( 3 )

Posted   2 years ago

Hi Ethan -

Just so I have a clear picture, modules 2-8 have scored assessments? Or are the questions just Practice questions?

The upcoming feature release does add Conditions to the Page Branching action, so you can evaluate variables as part of that action.

Thanks!

Comments

( 1 )
2 years ago     ethyoung     40   |   4  

Yeah, they're just practice questions. And Page Branching conditions sound like exactly what I need. Thanks as always for getting back to me!

Posted   2 years ago

Thanks for the update about the Questions.

Here are a couple of things to think about for this type of project.

If you are doing Page Branching, we generally recomend using a Theme that doesn't have Next/Back navigation buttons and doesn't have a menu. These two nav bar features are linear-only, and they don't have a way to know that someone has triggered a variable that you want to use to adapt the content. 

If you need Next/Back buttons you can add them to the page content itself. Under the Buttons option on the Insert tab are pre-wired navigation buttons - just add them to the page, no need to set up any actions. If it's a Flow page, you could even set up a Header or Footer to add to each page so you don't have to manually add the buttons to any page where needed. (Header and Footers are coming to Claro pages in this feature release as well.) 

And I was thinking a bit more on the approach, too. You wouldn't need conditions on the page branching action if instead of evaluating two variables on the clicking of a button, you could instead use the variables to determine which of two buttons to show the learner, each wired for the respective page branching for the two roles. So, on page load, the variable could be checked and if =1 then show button 1 if =2 show button 2.

So there are lots of different ways to approach what you want to do.

Hope this helps!  

Comments

( 0 )
Posted   one day ago

Some new options that can help with this type of project came with our 7.4.3 release which added a new feature, Publish Targets.

This single-source content feature lets you target multiple audiences or learning contexts in the same Project.

The Publish Targets feature allows you to create learner- or audience-specific contexts and apply them to:

• Content elements on the page
  • Pages
  • Test Question Pages
  • Learning Objects
  • Modules

When you publish the Project you can use the targets to set what content is included for a specific learning audience or context. This feature allows you to create one project that can be published to target different learner audiences.

PLUS we have a new action that lets a learner interaction (or other trigger) change the content to match a specific Public Target. 

This example shows that in action, it's simple in design but illustrates what you describe above:

Publish Targets Sample - Performance Management Writing SMART Objectives >> 

Here's a link to the Publish Targets Collection here in the Community, it has articles to explain the various aspects of setting up and using Publish Targets:

Working with Publish Targets >> 

Comments

( 0 )