Best Practices in Glossary Management?

530 0 1
Posted   8 months ago

Hi there ...

I see that when I create a glossary term, I can choose to add it to the site's Global Glossary and/or if the project is part of a Collection (or more than one Collection) I can add it to the Collection glossaries. What if I don't select either option? Is the term added to a global or just local to the lesson?

How do I remove terms (for example, misspelled ones) from the list (or containing glossary)?

Do you have a topic written for best practices? I'm anticipating developing several hundred SDITs (ICW, CBT, etc.) on a DK site that also hosts other team efforts not related to my subject. 

Comments

( 0 )

Answers  ( 1 )

Posted   8 months ago

This article in our User Guide has information on the Glossary feature, including editing (eg for typos) and deleting:

Add or Edit Glossary Terms >> 

All Glossary items are available universally for all users in your site, making them easy to re-use (and not needing tote created over and over again). You can also have the same term defined more than once, for example a simple definition suitable for a novice audience and a more elaborate definition suitable for more experienced audiences.

Adding the term to the Global or a Collection glossary is a publishing-related feature.

By default, as you add a glossary link to a word on your pages in your Project, the term will also automatically be added to the Glossary list feature in the navigation's menu options (if available in the Theme you are using). So if you have five words set up with glossary definition links, that Glossary list will have those five terms all gathered in one place for learner access.

There's a Publishing Profile setting which allows you to include the full set of terms from the Global or Collection glossary in your published project, even if the terms are not included/set up with glossary links on the Project's pages. So, instead of just the five terms, the Glossary menu feature would now include all terms in the Global and/or Collection glossary for the learner to access.

A use case might be a curriculum of five courses - not every course will have every term in it, but it might be valuable for the learner to have the full glossary across all five courses available in the menu Glossary list. You can set those five courses up in a Collection and add their glossary terms to the Collection glossary, then use the Publishing Profile setting to include all of the Collection glossary terms in each course when published. 

Comments

( 0 )