Capture - Some frequently asked questions

Capture is pretty easy to use, but sometimes a little help goes a long way 

Here are some common questions users have asked about Capture.

New to Capture?

The Capture Training Guide is a great place to start.

You can find it in the Community here: Capture Training - dominKnow | ONE

Is Capture an authoring mode of its own?

We describe Capture as a feature in dominKnow | ONE. You use it to create software task lessons then add those lessons to pages in either a Flow or Claro Project.

It uses an app that you download and install on your local computer to do the actual lesson capturing and editing. When you’re finished editing, you add it to a Flow or Claro page.

When you add a lesson to a page you can set how you want it to behave – as an animated Show Me (demonstration), an interactive Try Me or as a Guided Steps (great for uses in training guides and manuals). You don’t have to choose or set this behavior when editing the lesson in the Capture app.

You also use Capture when creating an animated GIF or a screen capture (which are other options on the Record tab).

Does Capture make videos?

No, it makes an HTML package that has a screen capture image for each step.

When you select the Show Me behavior, the package runs an HTML-based animation of the steps, including adding in an animated cursor.

It looks and behaves a lot like a video, but it isn’t.

How do I get the Capture app?

For most dominKnow | ONE users, you'll be prompted to download the app to your computer the first time you choose one of the Simulation, Animated GIF or Screen Capture options on the Record tab.

And each time you choose one of those options, the system will automatically check for updates to the app so you don’t have to worry about that.

For users in organizations that tightly control what can be installed on a company computer you may need to work with your IT team to get permission to install the app.

In some cases this may even require providing the app to your IT team for installing (rather than you downloading it), and we can help with that by providing the required files. Just contact our support team for help.

What do I do if Capture won’t install for me?

For users in organizations that tightly control what can be installed on a company computer you may need to work with your IT team to get permission to install the app. In some cases this may even require providing the app to your IT team for installing (rather than you downloading it), and we can help with that by providing the required files.

If you have tried using Capture and the application doesn’t install for you, contact our support team who will likely need to work with your organization’s IT team to resolve the issue. Making screen captures of any error notices, etc. will help our support team out tremendously.

How do I add a Capture lesson to a Flow or Claro page?

When you are finished editing in the Capture application, choose the Share button then the Publish to Authoring option.

Once the publishing process is completed, you'll see a thumbnail of the lesson. 

In Claro pages, you can simply drag and drop the thumbnail image onto the page – that will automatically upload the package for you.

In Flow pages, in order to drag and drop the thumbnail image you need to have an available placeholder element on your page. So, for Flow, you add the placeholder where you want the lesson to be displayed, then drag and drop the package icon onto the placeholder.

How do I resize the Capture lesson my Claro page?

When you add the Capture lesson to a Claro it may initially display at the size it was captured which be larger than the Claro page itself.

To resize it, use the Width (W:) and Height (H:) fields in the bar above the stage.

Where are Capture lessons stored?

When you make a capture using the app, it is saved to your local computer. You can open past Capture files by going to the File menu when working in the app and selecting Open.

When you add a Capture lesson to a Flow or Claro page, the whole package is uploaded to dominKnow | ONE and stored in the Media Library. This means that the same lesson can be used in multiple places. For example, you might want to use the Show Me in one place in a course then use the Try Me at the end to give learners practice.

Note: After you've added the file to a Page, it is still also stored on your local computer. (It isn't deleted.)

How do I edit a Capture lesson?

This article has all the details for editing a Capture lesson after you've completed it.

How do I edit a Capture that someone else created?

You can do this through the Media Library.

Select the Capture file in the Media Library and you’ll see the Edit in Capture button on the right-side panel.

Note: The availability of the file for you to edit may depend on your authoring role and content permissions.

Can I launch Capture from the desktop?

Once the app is installed you can launch it directly from your computer to make and edit a lesson.

You only need to be logged into dominKnow | ONE when you want to add it to a page.

Every once in a while, though, Capture will require you to launch it from dominKnow | ONE as a security measure and to ensure you have the latest updates. 

Is Capture responsive?

When you use them in Flow pages the Capture lessons are responsive.

For example, at wider screen widths the Show Me displays the step text to the right of the screen animation.

At smaller screen widths it will rotate so the step text is below the image, allowing more screen width for the animation so learners can see what’s being selected.

Can learners interact with a Capture lesson?

For sure!

When you add a Capture file to a Flow Page you can set it to behave as a Try Me, which the learner can use to practice the steps.

Can I control the zooming in a Capture lesson?

In Show Me mode, the animation will zoom in and out automatically.

We use zooming as part of the responsive behavior on Flow pages, to accommodate for different page widths. Less zooming will be experienced on wider displays.

Learners can turn zooming off using the magnifying lens icon. Plus they can choose to view the animation at full-screen, using the cross-hairs icon.

Why don't annotations and markers show in Try Me mode?

The boxes, arrows, etc. that you add with the Draw feature and the markers added with the Marker feature are only displayed when the lesson is set to the Show Me or Guide mode.

In general, the Try Me mode is for simulating the actual experience of carrying out the software steps as closely as possible, so the annotations aren't shown in that mode. 

Can Capture lessons be used outside of dominKnow | ONE?

You can use Capture’s animated GIFs or (single) screen captures outside of dominKnow | ONE.

But Capture lessons can only be used in dominKnow | ONE pages.

0     0

Similar Projects

Questions  ( 0 )